Hvor stor er Scientologikirka?

Den store lista over forhenværende medlemmer som har snakket ut ble startet på WWP av “RightOn”, som et mostvar til COS’ utsagn om at kritikerne “bare er en håndfull bitre X’er”. Det er nå nesten to og et halvt tusen navn på lista.

Med såpass høye tall er det fristende å bruke statistikk på materialet. Det har nå blitt gjort analyser med henblikk på hvor lenge de har vært medlemmer før de hoppet av. En del interessante resultater har blitt presentert.

Hvor mange år har folk vært medlemmer før de hoppet av:

Som det burde være mulig å se, stiger antall år i kulten jevnt og trutt fra 1995 og videre. Ikke bare stiger den jevnt, den stiger også omtrent med et år per år (stigningstall 1 for dem som husker mattepensum fra ungdomsskolen). Følger man trenden bakover betyr det at nesten alle som forlater kulten (og skriver noe om det) kom inn rundt 1985.

I følge X’er som har vært inne lenge var 1985 og årene rundt et toppår i kulten. Det var riktignok færre folk enn på 60- og 70-tallet, men 80-tallet representerer siste gang kulten egentlig hadde noe å rope hurra for. Det betyr at nesten alle som hopper av, ble vervet rundt 1985 (slik som for eks vår hjemlige Geir Isene). Etter det har kulten nesten ikke klart å rekruttere.

Grunnen til at rekrutteringa har gått fløyten er trolig to ting: 1) Hubbard er død og kan ikke lage nytt materiale og 2) internett. Scienotologi blir mer og mer utdatert, og har mindre og mindre tiltrekningskraft på moderne ungdommer.

Det går også an å bruke tallene for å anslå netto tap av medlemmer, og tapet ser ut til å være akselererende (oransje linje i grafen over). Dette gjør det mulig å beregne antall medlemmer. Tar man utgangspunkt i John Atack (A piece of Blue Sky) sine tall, var det 25 tusen scientologer i 2008. Om vi sier at Atack var vel optimistisk, og bruker 25 tusen for 2010 eller 2012 i stedet, vil det til neste år være henholdsvis 3500, 6700 eller 9800 igjen.

Scientologikjerka er død, og toppledelsen vet det. Per i dag er målet å melke dem som er igjen heller enn å rekruttere nye medlemmer.

Den store lista:

Universitas: «Lærer studieteknikker i Scientologikirken»

John P Capitalist, en anonym kommentator som i det virkelige liv er aksjemegler og fondsforvalter og som ofte kommenterer hos Tony Ortega og Mike Rinder har gått gjennom den siste tids tall og gjort noen beregninger som han postet hos Mike Rinder (i seg selv en interessant artikkel). Jeg gjengir hele analysen hans her:

I have taken a crack at this question on a number of occasions in comments at Tony O’s blog. In my day job on Wall Street, it’s a very useful skill to be able to put together quick back-of-the-envelope numbers and have them be reasonably accurate, so that you can make a quick decision on whether to buy or sell a stock that’s climbing or dropping in price quickly. It’s not about getting to perfect accuracy but to get to “right enough for right now.”

Based on almost two years as a Scientology watcher, my current best estimate for corporate Scientology membership is less than 25,000 worldwide, including all staff. I am currently estimating worldwide staff at about 5,000 of that number, which is an unsustainable level — what, exactly, do these people do all day? What happens when there are 5,000 public and 5,000 staff in 5-10 years, which will almost certainly happen? The only way the organization can afford to keep that many people on the payroll is to pay them almost nothing, as has been well documented. Incidentally, I am defining “public” as anyone who doesn’t say “F**k off and don’t ever call me again” before hanging up the phone when RCS calls; I am attempting to count “under the radar” and “sideliners” as public, because it is prudent to pick the number that is least supportive of your hypothesis, in this case, my belief that the implosion is accelerating.

I suspect that the total active membership in the US is now below 15,000 including staff. This number appears to be going down at an accelerating rate as Debbie Cook’s e-mail and other prominent resignations are having an effect, and as public are unable to escape the increasing number of negative articles about Scientology — the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes divorce last summer unleashed tens of thousands of news stories in the popular press, and virtually all mentioned Scientology negatively; it would have been hard to miss dozens of these at the supermarket checkstand. Importantly, the tone of much of this press coverage has changed — the Church of Scientology is now the butt of jokes. It’s easy for public to say “they’re afraid of us and they’re opposing us because we’re winning and they don’t understand us” when the Church is feared and opposed; much harder to believe the Church is winning at “clearing the planet” when it is mainly being laughed at.

In conversations with several people who recently left the RCS, I believe Debbie Cook and Tom Cruise caused many people to start to see the gulf between Miscavige’s claims of imminent victory and planetary clearing and the fact that Scientology is increasingly seen as a laughingstock in most of the world. So the number of “under the radar” and “sideliner” public continues to be a growing percentage of the whole, people who are simply trying to avoid the consequences of disconnection on their families and their businesses. One prominent ex I have spoken to claims that the number of willing participants in the US who are drinking the official Kool-Aid is now down to perhaps 1,000 people, though I think this is a bit low.

The more interesting number (and harder to pin down) number that makes up the global membership figure is the non-US public. Recent census data from the UK and Australia say that there are 2,200 Scientologists in Australia and 2,500 in the UK. Note that this is census data, where everyone is asked their religion, and the figure has a significantly smaller margin for error than the American Religious Identification Survey that you cite in your article. So those are reasonably accurate because they are direct counts. And what is especially interesting about the UK number is that it presumably includes the Saint Hill staff, perhaps the third biggest concentration of Scientologists in the world after LA and Clearwater. So the number of active public in the UK could be under 1,000 (I haven’t come across recent data hinting at the staff size at Saint Hill and the other headquarters-type UK operations). And that tiny number is in one of the three largest countries in Europe, and that’s the one of those three whose government has been least hostile to Scientology. So it is reasonable to believe that the public population in the rest of the EU countries where Scientology operates is lower in both absolute numbers and in percentage of the population as members than the UK. As a cross-check, ex-member Pete Griffiths estimated last year the number of active public served by the Dublin Org to be less than 50, proportionally about half per capita of the rate of the UK population (50 out of 7 million is about half the rate of 1,000 in 63 million in the UK). Putting that together, I think it is reasonable to believe that there are at most 5,000 Scientologists in Western Europe including staff (the Ireland proportion of 50 in 7 million applied to total EU population of 503 million, and adding an additional 1,000 for Saint Hill staff).

While the cult has apparently had some success in Eastern Europe, particularly opening missions in Moscow, I think that recent anti-American sentiment churned up by the Putin government will make it increasingly difficult for Scientology to operate in Russia, so the “fresh meat” there is likely to dry up if it hasn’t already. The last variable is Asia, where it appears the only success is Kaohsiung in Taiwan. My suspicion is that many of the kids of current members are sucked into the Sea Org particularly in Australia or the US as a way to continue the supply of slave labor. Given your recent comments about Johannesburg & Pretoria, which matches other anecdotal evidence I’ve seen, Africa has perhaps 1,000 Scientologists. The Arab world? You’ve got to be kidding. That leaves Asia. I’d estimate the Asian membership at 4,000 including the 2,000 from Australia, 1,000 from Taiwan, and smaller numbers from other countries. Latin America is a question mark, with Colombia being perhaps the only bright spot given the frequent visit of the FeeWinds to Cartagena. Call it maybe 1,500 total.

So that’s how I get to 25,000 total (of which 20,000 is public); while that may not be perfectly accurate, I would be willing to bet that the global total does not exceed 35,000 today. Incidentally, I suspect that the global public total is probably declining at a rate of about 15% to 20% per year at this point, which I believe to be an acceleration over the rate of decline perhaps five years ago. I would suspect that the total active event attendee population of that loose definition of “public” I used at the outset is probably less than 10,000 worldwide — call it 1,500 public for Hubbard’s birthday in FL and 2,500 in CA, plus people attending the video events at their local orgs. That suggests there are about 10,000 sideliners and under the radar types. And I think that if Miscavige & Co. haven’t persuaded them to get active again by now, they’re never going to be again.

Also, if you look through the IAS “whale” donors, it sure looks like most of the big names of the past are either dying off or are tapped out economically (Nancy Cartwright, for example, will never have to work again but with the end of The Simpsons, her annual income goes from $10 million to a fraction of that; Craig Jensen’s software company makes technology that has been obsoleted by new trends in disk storage over the last decade; Richie Acunto is bankrupt and broke). So it will be interesting to see what happens when IAS donations drop still further.

Det man kan gjøre, er å studere de såkalte personlige sidene til scientologene, f.eks. en oversikt over norske medlemmer. En enkel back-of-the-envelope-beregning:

• 23 norske medlemmer
  • 5,137 millioner nordmenn totalt
  • 7,125 milliarder mennesker på jorden
  • 23 * 7.125.000.000 / 5.137.000 = 31.900

Selv har jeg følelsen av at det tallet er for stort.

PS1: Morsomt med han Owe R. Forsberg. På nettet finner jeg to forskjellige varianter av mellomnavnet hans:

• Renè
  • Rene

Selv har jeg en følelse av at det riktige er en tredje variant:

• René

Uansett kan ikke et menneske være spesielt clear hvis han ikke klarer å være konsekvent når det gjelder hvordan han skriver sitt eget navn?

PS2: Nå bør det legges til at Shakspeare vissntok skrev navnet sitt på minst seks forskjellige måter. Men det var før scientologien. :slight_smile:

Pussig det der. Folk roter merkelig mye med akutt- og gravistegnet, selv når det inngår i ens eget navn. Det beste er imidlertid folk som ikke engang klarer å lage seg firmaskilt med skikkelig genitivsfeil. Ikke bare roter de med genitiv, de klarer til og med å velge gravistegnet i stedet for apostrof: Mari`s Gategrill. Feil-i-feil.

Morsomt at du skulle komme til rundt 30 000, det er det det tallet som oppereres med av de fleste kjennere (Hawkins, Rinder, Ortega) også. Tror du er inne på noe.

Vet du om pressen har vist interesse for statistikken til WWP?

Ikke noe så langt.

Løgn og forbandet digte: Hva sier Scentologikirkens egne tall om ekspansjon?

En av organisasjonens mantra gjennom siste ti år har vært at de er inne i en rivende ekspansjon under deres geniale leder David Miscavige. Siste nytt er at ekspansjonen nå er 47 ganger (nøyaktig hva som har ekspandert, og hva 47x er målt i forhold til sier organisasjonen derimot ikke noe om).

Mike Rinder har tatt for seg et nyopptrykk av Scientology A New Slant On Life fra 1976, som har en liste over alle org’ene fra den gang. Dette har han sammenliknet med dagens liste over org’er, slik man finner den på Scientologikirkens egne hjemmesider. Merk at dag- og nattskiftene (day og foundation) regnes som to separate org’er.

Dette er resultatene:

Nye org’er åpnet mellom 1954 (grunnleggingen av organisasjonen) og 1979: 57
Nye org’er åpnet mellom 1979 og 1992 (/mens Miscavige tok makten): 85
Nye org’er åpnet mellom 1992 og 2014 (Miscavige enehersker): 5

Disse tallene er totaltallene for perioden, det vil si at org’er som har stengt er trukket fra. For eksempel har både London Celebrity Centre og Saint Hill Foundation blitt slått sammen med henholdsvis London org og Saint Hill Day i løpet av de siste par årene.

Den store ekspansjonen i organisasjonens historie var i “New Age” perioden på 80-tallet. Siden den gang har ekspansjonen bråstoppet, målt i antall org’er.

Det morsomme med Rinders analyse er at den baserer seg på organisasjonens egne publiserte tall. Vi vet alle at Scientologikirken tar seg en del friheter med fakta om organisasjonen. De reelle tallene er nok enda dystrere: Selv om det per i dag er flere org’er enn i 1979, er de fleste org’ene mer eller mindre tomme. I følge eldre X-scientologer var org’ene fulle av folk i Hubbards velmaktsdager, det var ofte køer for å komme med på kurs og auditing foregikk noen ganger i gangene fordi det ikke var plass i kurssalene.

Mike Rinder:

Jefferson Hawkins har laget denne lille grafiske oversikten over hva Scientologikirka sier og hvordan virkeligheten ser ut:

Fra http://www.mikerindersblog.org/how-big-is-scientology-lies-exposed/

Det er nettopp den type grafiske oversikter og sammendrag jeg tenker å lage til sida her. :slight_smile:

Tror nok ikke Hawkins har noe imot at vi oversetter den.

Jeg tenkte mer generelt nå, at vi “piffer opp” introduksjoner, ressurstråder o.l. med lettforståelig grafikk.

Nye tall fra den store lista, nå er 666 personer som har oppgitt start- og sluttidspunkt tatt med:

Kurvene viser:
Rødt: Når folk på liste slutta hoppet av
Grønt: Når folk på lista begynte
Blått: Medlemstall, basert på lista

En del av hoppene i kurvene skyldes trolig at folk har oppgitt runde tall (hele 10-ere og 5-ere). Her er samme kurvene jevnet ut litt:

Selv om antallet nå er 100 høyere, er kurvene like dem man fikk sist gang, hvilket antyder at vi har med robuste tall som representerer virkelige trender å gjøre. For eksempel ser vi en klar topp i utmeldinger i forbindelse med “Mission Holders Conference” i 1982. Igjen har en statistiker over på WWP brukt disse tallene for å beregne nedgangen i medlemsmassen. Hvis vi antar at den blå kurven representerer den reelle trenden (selv om tallene naturligvis er mindre) og at denne trenden holder seg, vil medlemsmassen innen utgangen av 2015 bikke 3200 (basert på 75 000 som topp medlemsmasse i 1990).

Personlig mener jeg dette tallet er i overkant optimistisk, men det er i alle fall liten tvil om at det går raskt nedover med kulten.

Nye tall fra immigrasjonsmyndighetene i USA viser at SeaOrg må importere store deler av arbeidsstokken fra andre land.

Scientologikirken har i lang tid brukt såkalte R-1 temporary nonimmigrant religious workers visa for å importere SeaOrg til alt fra kontorarbeidere til vaktmestere. Dette er i strid med hva meningen for denne typen visa er, men Scientologikirken en egen drill for å få gjennom slike søknader, og lykkes i over 90% av tilfellene. Nye tall som er blitt tilgjengelige under Freedom of Information Act viser at organisasjonen har søkt om 3 447 visa siden 2009 da loven trådde i kraft.

Det store flertallet av de som fikk visa ente på Flag, organisasjons base i Clearwater, Florida. I henhold til Mike Rider betyr dette at pe ri dag er nesten alle ved Flag utenlandske (i hovedsak fra Russland). Årsaken er i følge ham og Mark Headly at det i dag er nesten umulig å rekruttere engelsktalende til SeaOrg på grunn av all den tilgjengelige informasjonen på Internet.

Tony Ortega:

http://tonyortega.org/2016/01/13/dox-government-disclosure-shows-extent-of-scientologys-reliance-on-cheap-foreign-labor/

DOX - DOX - DOX!

Del to av Tony Ortegas intervju med Paul Burkhart har en del spennende data fra 2012-2013, da han var på vei ut av organisasjonen. Scientologikirka sentralt sitter naturligvis på de virkelige medlemstallene, og Burkhart forteller om hvor lite lystelig lesning det var:

Organisasjonens høyeste medlemstall noensinne var i 1990, med omkring 100 000 medlemmer.

Etter sju år med salget på høygir har de klart å selge “the Basics” to 8 000 scientologer

ca 5 000 har gått gjennom selve “Basics” kurset.

4000-5000 scientologer bemanning i de forskjellige ORGene, hvorav omkring 2 500 er i SeaOrg

Til sammen var det mellom 10 og 20 tusen aktive scientologer i verden da Burkhart hoppet av for tre år siden!

Tony Ortega: SCIENTOLOGY’S SPACE MAN: As of 2013, active Scientologists fewer than 20,000 worldwide

Oi, det står jo dårligere til enn jeg trodde.

Alltid godt med gode nyheter, ikke sant? :grin:

Nye beregninger, denne gangen er det John P, som har sett på Sciontologikirkens egne offentliggjorte data for Denver Org, og ekstrapolert trender. Det er like greit å gjengi beregningene i sin helhet:

Værsågod, John P:

Off topic but generally relevant: Mike Rinder has a post today with two topics: the desolation at the recently-opened Basel Ideal Org, and about the paltry number of course completions at the Denver Ideal Org, which is most famous in these pages for raising money by renting out the parking lots for Colorado Rockies baseball games.

I had one of the Global Capitalism HQ interns do a quick 20-minute research project: take the names off the list of Denver completions, eliminate duplicates, then hit the Lexis/Nexis database on the ones where the names were uncommon enough that we could have a reasonable chance of uniquely identifying the Scientologists (i.e., not from small towns on the Western Slope, too young, etc.).

Out of 32 names mentioned, in three cases there is almost certainly no one with those names in Colorado, so they either flew in from somewhere else or they just don’t exist and are made up to boost the stats.

We were able to conclusively identify 18 of the 32 and get ages; the other 11 names were sufficiently common that we didn’t have certainty that we could pick the Scientology member. Of those 18, the average age was 56.5 years. If we eliminated a 32-year-old who our database proves is the son of one of the other members listed, the average age would go up to 58.2 years.

Scientology is clearly dying, both in the number of participants and in their ages. With no new members coming in other than foreign Sea Org recruits, the member base is likely to decline by 80% in the next 15 years from mortality alone, even if no one defects.

And, of course, Scientology is also dying because nobody actually does Scientology any more. Denver got 29 locals out of just under 3 million to do any Scientology course work over a period of several months. That’s a complete and utter disaster, especially since nobody reached “Clear” and nobody made an OT level.

If you extrapolate to the US as a whole, that would imply that about 3,000 people participated in Scientology course work in the same period (divide 310 million US population by 3 million Denver metro area population and multiply by the 29 on course in DEN). I suspect that’s a little low given that Denver has never been a big Scientology town and there are a lot more Scientologists proportionally in places like LA and Clearwater. Even if you triple that 3,000 arbitrarily to try to correct for more Scientologists in a couple of cities, which is an extremely generous “gimme,” it’s hard to get to a number saying that 10,000 people are actively “on lines.”

Edited to add: I’m going to guess that the real number of people currently actually “doing Scientology” is perhaps 5,000 in the US, and 3,000 internationally. Solving the proportion above is a little misleading because it uses the ratio of Scientologists in an urban area across the urban + rural population… Half the population lives in the top 25 urban areas, which is the only place that matches Scientology’s demographics. I would bet there are zero Scientologists in rural Mississippi or Alabama, where education, disposable income and geographic mobility are extremely low. Applying the proportion from Denver to the US large urban area population of 160 million would yield an “active public” stat of about 1,600 people. If you use the larger 5,000 active member number, that would imply that at least 5,000 people who still consider themselves Scientologists and who the cult still considers members are “under the radar” or “sideliners.” End addition.

I still estimate cult membership in the US as a bit higher than that, given the number of “under the radar” folks who are hiding out hoping that things will get better, or who are pretending to be in so that they’re not disconnected from their kids. All in all, this reinforces my belief that there are approximately 20,000 Scientologists worldwide, including approximately 5,000 Sea Org and staff.

Summa sumarum: Ca 20 000 scientologer i verden, hvorav 5 000 aktive og 5 000 SeaOrg og stab