Neopets drevet av scientologer

Neopets drevet av scientologer?

Foto: Wikipedia

Dagens kuriositet! Nettsida Neopets, hvor en kan passe på virtuelle dyr, var visst drevet av scientologer, kan vi lese på theoutline.com.

Before selling the company to Viacom in 2005, Neopets’s then-CEO, investor, and Scientologist Doug Dohring utilized L. Ron Hubbard’s trademark business model, Org Board, while overseeing the company. According to the Church, the Org Board is an updated business “technology” used by society 80 trillion years ago and updated by Hubbard, and Neopets isn’t the only company that openly used or currently uses Org Board techniques; smaller businesses such as the fast food chain Mr. Jim’s Pizza, MGE, Inc., and Mission Renaissance have similarly employed the business model.

[…]

Neopets was started in 1999, and its founders didn’t know Dohring subscribed to Scientology principles, at first. Dohring sung the praises of Org Board in an interview with WIRED, and gave a testimonial on how he successfully uses the system for Scientology website WISE, which was pulled within the last few months but archived here. In it, he said: “As a business executive I have enjoyed many successes thanks to my knowledge and use of L. Ron Hubbard’s administrative technology. Having used his technology in every business activity for nearly two decades now, Mr. Hubbard’s organizational concepts are always with me to the point where virtually every aspect of running my companies involves the use of his administrative technology.” When reached out to comment about the testimonial’s disappearance, neither WISE nor Dohring responded.

“Neopets’s business model [was] morally problematic,” Illingworth said of the company’s model, which changed when it was sold to Viacom. “The model suggests that employees be treated in ways very similar to those proposed by Scientology’s organizational model. Today, we think employees should be treated well, with respect, and not made to suffer harsh consequences when they act in ways that are not strictly in the interest of the company…The idea that an organization should fire employees for having views that are different from those of the organization is morally disconcerting even when we don’t share the views, or we are adamantly against them.”