Tidligere scientolog dømt for bedrageri

Tony Ortega melder at Frank Pate (47) ble erklært skyldig i tre tilfeller av bedrageri av en domstol i Sherman i Texas på tirsdag. Selve dommen felles ved en senere anledning.

Pate skal, ved å vise til felles bakgrunn og kontaktnettverk, ha overbevist tidligere scientologer til å investere i det retten omtaler som pyramidespill eller Ponzi-svindel:

On Tuesday, a federal jury convicted Frank Pate, 47, of two counts of wire fraud and one count of mail fraud after a five-day trial in Sherman, Texas. He is in custody and will be sentenced at a future date.

Previously, we told you about Pate, a former Scientologist who, according to some of his former clients, used their connections as former church members to convince them to invest with him.

Pate ran something he called the Infinity Companies, which he used to attract investors for foreign currency trading. But at trial, Pate was unable to show that he’d actually invested the money people gave him — instead, the FBI testified, he’d used the money for personal expenses.

[…]