USA bruker $633,677 på sauna-behandling av syke veteraner

L. Ron Hubbard hevder, i boka Clear Body, Clear Mind, at veien til en renere kropp og et renere sinn går gjennom utstrakt saunasvetting, vitaminoverdoser og gymnastiske øvelser.

633,677 skattedollars er satt av til et forskningsprosjekt, hvor krigsveteraner med Gulfkrigssyndrom skal svette ut problemene sine:

U.S. Pays for Scientology ‘Experiment’ on Sick Veterans

Thanks to taxpayer dollars, a research team is testing L. Ron Hubbard’s controversial ‘purification’ theories on veterans suffering from Gulf War Syndrome.

Inside a tiny sauna located underneath a brick business park in Annapolis, Maryland, a large man has been sitting and sweating for almost four hours.

Participant No. 29 is a veteran of the first Gulf War and a subject in a government-funded study aimed at treating the nebulous cluster of symptoms known as Gulf War Syndrome. Wearing gym shorts and a wide grin, he rakes a hand towel up and down his soaked upper body, then waves and yells through the glass door, “C’mon in!”

“I was going to be done today,” he tells Dr. Crystal Grant, the project’s affable coordinator. “But… I had some more junk come out of my legs. Some black stuff. So I’m going to do one more day and see if I can clean it all out.”

The room just outside where Participant 29 perspires is filled with cardio equipment, a couple of stationary bikes and treadmills where the veterans begin their sessions by running. According to the project’s hypothesis, this will dislodge “toxins” that have been stored in the veterans’ fat deposits for more than a quarter of a century, and which they can then perspire out in the steam bath. This theory about the toxins, and how to get rid of them, is known as the “Hubbard method.” It’s named after L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the Church of Scientology, who was also the man to concoct it.

[…]

Noe relatert:

Why Scientology can never submit its drug rehab quackery to scientific review

We’ve been reporting in huge volumes about Scientology’s drug rehab system, Narconon, and the legal troubles it finds itself in for what is its essentially deceptive business model. Narconon promises individualized drug counseling by medical professionals in a safe, drug-free environment, and downplays its connections to the church. But none of that is true. Not only is Narconon a wing of the church under leader David Miscavige’s control, but instead of delivering drug counseling, it puts patients through the same exercises they’d get as beginning Scientologists. It also puts them through a risky and unscientific regimen of extended sauna use and outrageous amounts of niacin and other vitamins. But on what theory is that based? Our frequent contributor, Jeffrey Augustine, shows us that things are even worse than we imagined, as he looks into L. Ron Hubbard’s ideas behind his “detoxification” regimen.

[…]